Mosquitos are a nuisance due to their bites. This is particularly true during rainy seasons in tropical areas and summer months in temperate regions. Their bites can cause inflamed, red, and itchy patches on our skin. However, mosquito bites can also transmit a couple of deadly diseases.
It’s crucial for businesses to control mosquitos, especially if they’ve got outdoor areas. Mosquito control and monitoring are required to completely get rid of them or keep populations low. A negative experience with mosquitos can greatly influence client satisfaction. This will affect your income and reputation.
Aside from hiring a Suffolk County pest control company, here are several tips to prevent mosquitos in your business:
Maintain Outdoor Ornamentals and Swimming Pools
You have to properly chlorinate and maintain your outdoor pools. If you do this, mosquitos will not consider them ideal breeding grounds since they require stagnant water with bacteria. If you maintain the right amounts of chlorine and oxygen in the pool water, you are getting rid of the food sources of the mosquito larva. You can also stock your ornamental pools with larva-eating fish.
Stop Mosquitos from Getting Inside Your Property
Keep windows and doors closed if they aren’t in use. Aside from that, you should try to install screening for doors, windows, and other openings. Seal any building defects or cracks that mosquitos can crawl or fly through. If you already have screens, make sure you maintain them by fixing gaps and holes.
Manage the Resting Sites of Adult Mosquitos
During the day, adult mosquitos typically rest in shaded spots. This includes your building foundation or under decks. You should also get rid of dense vegetation and tall weeds. Cut back low-level overgrowth of shrubs and trees and mow your lawn regularly.
You can spray an eco-friendly insecticide onto leaves in areas of shady vegetation and on your property’s surfaces that will kill adult mosquitos.
Get Rid of Stagnant Water Sources
You’ve got to ensure you get rid of any man-made or natural water traps. In addition to that, you also have to ensure your commercial property has proper drainage. There are a couple of specific areas where mosquitos choose to breed and thrive. This includes:
- Downspouts and gutters can accumulate debris and become clogged. This produces sites for mosquitos. You need to regularly clean and inspect these areas.
- There are also leaks in AC drainage or pipework and structural areas of buildings that trap water. You have to maintain these features to avoid the accumulation of water. This is particularly true in shaded spots.
- Over-watered lawns can result in the accumulation of stagnant water. It can stay long enough for mosquitos to multiply.
- You have to change the water every week of your birdbaths, flower pot holders, and other items that hold water for a long time.
- You need to get rid of items that can hold water. This includes drink containers, discarded food containers, buckets, and old tires.
- You need to fix poor drainage areas to avoid the accumulation of stagnant water.